Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sopranos

I just caught the last episode again. When I first saw it I figured it was the show that got wacked. We (the viewers) didnt even see it coming. Reports that Steve Perry was assured the song wouldnt be used as Tony's demise support my original view. Also the fact that their lives didnt stop they went on and on and on and on. Why use that song?

However after analyzing the ending, I came to the conclusion it was Tony who was wacked. Which bring sup the questions why and by whom. My theory here is that Butchie took Tony out. When they met about Phil he just assured that he would back off. He honored that promise. Once Phil was taken out, you would assume Butch would become Boss. Now if you were him and were analyzing the situation would you keep Tony around?

It was plain and obvious that he never liked Tony. He wanted to take Tony out that time Tony blew up the Wire Room. Plus he knows in negotiations that Tony would want a 50/50 split on joint ventures. Tony pushed the envelope with Johnny Sac. Would he not do the same to the new Boss, Butchie, who Tony would likely think he is better than? Also there is always the fear that Tony would join up with Little Carmine to take over the Brooklyn family. Little Carmine was forced to retire because he is weak. But now that Brooklyn has been decimated it could be an opportunity to get back in. On the contrary Butchie could take over a decimated Jersey if he takes Tony out. Hit them while they are weak and least expect it. Do you not do this if you are Butchie?

Then of course there are quotes that back this up as well. Like the original script supposedly ending with the Members Only guy walking toward the table. Then there was flash back with Bobby form the seasons first episode. Although he could have been just thinking about Bobby dying and remembered that. However there is this quote:

"There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Jerry Torciano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Jerry was on his way down to the floor. That's the way things happen: It's already going on by the time you even notice it."

However my original interpretation, that the viewer was the one who was wacked, can counter this argument. Which brings us back to what the hell happened? I think this quote may be the answer:

"I wasn't going to do this, but somebody said it would be a good idea if we said something about that ending. I really wasn't going to go into it, but I'll just say this...when I was going to Stanford University's graduate film school and was 23 [years old], I went to see Planet of the Apes with my wife. When it was over, I said, 'Wow...so they had a Statue of Liberty, too."

Is he saying that the ending is open to interpretation? Is this the final answer? My original thought was the viewer was wacked. After analyzing I came to the conclusion that Tony was wacked. But is the answer there is no ending? The ending is what you want it to be? Well since I have to have closure its RIP Tony Soprano.

No comments:

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.